Updated: Sep 6, 2022
Life is always about quick fixes especially on weekdays when you have a lot to do already and the last thing you want to worry about is what to make for breakfast. So, I usually rely on simple and easy dishes that one can put together with minimal effort.
And this Vermicelli Upma is just dish. Takes less than 30 minutes to make and if you are smart and do all the prep work the night before, it will take even less. One thing to be aware of is that you need to stick to the measurements of the Vermicelli X water, lest you are left with an overwhelmingly soggy or an underdone mess.
Serve it with a hot cup of Tea or Coffee and you will be truly satisfied.
1 cup Vermicelli - Pre roasted
1 small Onion finely chopped
1 green chili finely chopped
1 small Tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp Green peas
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 large Potato diced
1 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1) Heat Ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds and green chilies. Add the potatoes, stir, cover and let them cook till almost done.
2) Now add the Onions and fry them till translucent.
3) Add the tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy, now you can add peas, diced carrots if using, and all the spices
4) add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
5) Add the vermicelli and mix well, let the vermicelli cook on a low flame till all the water has evaporated. Serve hot
Note: You can use potatoes, finely diced carrots and french beans. However, I would recommend you boil them first in salted water before adding them to the pan.