Updated: Sep 4, 2022
Besan and veggie toast is a rescuer of neglected vegetables chilling in your refrigerator. Add one or a few different types of grated or chopped vegetables in Gram flour (Besan) batter with your favorite spices, and voila, you have a seriously addictive breakfast at hand.
I find that using thick slices of bread and adding a teeny bit of Baking soda makes the toast fluffy. And the best thing is that you can make the batter a day in advance, which means significantly less effort the following day to put it together. Also, unlike plain flour, Besan is a healthier and complete gluten-free option. Serve it with your favorite spicy sauce and it will become a part of your breakfast routine.
3 cups Chickpea flour or Besan
1 cup yogurt, you can use Vegan yogurt
2 green chilies finely chopped
You can use 1 or all of these vegetables – 1 zucchini grated, 1 carrot grated, 1 cup chopped spinach, 1 large tomato finely diced, 1 small onion finely chopped
½ cup Ricotta OR crumbled paneer - Optional
Freshly chopped coriander
Salt to taste
1 ½ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 ½ tsp Amchur powder (Dry mango powder)
½ tsp Baking soda
A few slices of thick bread
Vegetable oil to drizzle on the pan while cooking
1) In a bowl, add the chickpea flour and all the powders.
2) Add the yogurt, and using a balloon whisk, make a thick batter. You will also need a cup of water if the yogurt you are using is too thick. We don’t want a very runny batter.
3) Add all the vegetables, green chilies, paneer and mix well.
4) Take a thick slice of bread and dip it in the batter. Take a flat bottomed non stick pan, heat it, and drizzle a little bit of oil. Place the bread dipped in batter on the pan.
5) Cook on a low to medium flame and cook on both sides till crispy and brown.
Serve hot with your favorite sauce.