Updated: Sep 4, 2022
There are so many ways to make rice in India. We have a few 1000 recipes up our sleeves, and each one is as delicious as the next one. This Coriander & Coconut rice is something I have seen my mother-in-law make many times and I love how refreshing the coriander & coconut mix is without overpowering the rice, with the cashew nuts & urad dal adding that extra crunch. I have used Katoomba Foods basmati to make this recipe a few times now, and I love how the rice soaks up all the flavors without making the dish mushy.
The texture of the rice is perfect, and I love the aromas wafting through my kitchen as I boil the rice. While I have cooked the rice from scratch here, you can choose to use leftover rice, and it will taste just as great.
1 ½ cup Katoomba Basmati rice
¾ cup desiccated Coconut
1 ½ cup washed and chopped Coriander
3 -4 green chillies
1 tsp fresh Ginger
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 finely chopped Onion
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Katoomba Urad Dal
½ cup Cashew nuts
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Juice of 1 lemon
1) Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain and boil in 5 cups of water till almost done; drain the water and keep the rice aside.
2) Grind coriander, chilies, ginger, coconut and yogurt with 2 tbsp water, till smooth.
Heat oil in a wok and roast the cashew nuts till lightly brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon and keep them aside.
3) In the same pan, add the cumin seeds and urad dal, gently add the onion and cook till translucent. Add the coriander and coconut mix and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes, any longer, and the coriander will lose its color.
4) Add the lemon juice, salt & sugar and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add the rice and gently mix and let the spice mix coat the rice well.
5) Add the cashew nuts, turn off the heat and serve hot.